1: Acronyms and abbreviations used in this reportAED - Automated External Defibrillations
CATI - Computer Assisted Telephone Interviews
CPR - Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation
CR&C - Campbell Research & Consulting
Department - The Department of Health and Ageing
EMS - Emergency Medical Services
PAD - Public Access Defibrillation
SCA - Sudden Cardiac Arrest
St John - St John Ambulance Australia
UK - United Kingdom
US - United States of America
2: Terminology used in this report
- Emergency medical service early defibrillation
- Defibrillation by trained ambulance or other trained emergence services personnel
- First responders
- Appropriately trained persons who have a duty to respond to medical emergencies.
- First responder early defibrillation
- Defibrillation by appropriately trained persons who have a duty to respond to medical emergencies.
- Host organisations
- Organisations who have received an AED under the PAD Demonstration.
- Key stakeholders
- Higher level key stakeholders refers to representatives from a range of professions, peak bodies and consumer organisations in the area of cardiac arrest and emergency responses from around Australia who were interviewed by CR&C for this project.
- Lay persons
- Staff or general public in the vicinity of the AED who had not received specific training in the use of the AED.
- Public access early defibrillation
- Defibrillation undertaken by any bystander, trained or untrained.
- Trained staff
- Staff employed at host organisations participating in the PAD Demonstration, who received training from St John in the use of the AED.