The Review of CVD Programs has been undertaken within the context of a number of influencing factors. Key amongst these is the Australian Government health reform agenda. Other influencing factors include:
- an ageing population;
- a predicted rapid rise in chronic diseases;
- rising health costs;
- enhanced technology and increasing evidence about the value of specific interventions;
- the rising cost of drugs;
- predicted workforce shortages; and
- a renewed focus on the economic impacts of ill health.