Evaluation of the Bringing them home and Indigenous mental health programs
3.5 Mental Health Service Delivery Projects
3.5.1 Number and location of Mental Health Service Delivery ProjectsThere are 19 OATSIH-funded Mental Health Service Delivery Projects funded around Australia. These projects vary considerably in nature and scope, as demonstrated by the descriptions of the projects set out below.
The 19 Mental Health Service Delivery Projects are located in five States and Territories: four in Queensland, two in SA, seven in Victoria, four in NSW and two in WA. The organisations administering these projects and a brief description of the types of services are provided below.
- Wuchopperen Health Service (Queensland) - Provides counselling and support for individuals, families, groups and communities. Activities include advocacy and referral, outreach services, cultural services, facilitation of community events, and participation on steering groups and reference committees.
- Gallang Place (Queensland) - Provides culturally appropriate counselling for the relief of trauma and psychological problems for individuals and families.
- Access Arts (Queensland) - Funds are used for the ‘Remix’ project which involves arts-based workshops and research, looking at the relationship of arts and people’s mental health and social networks.
- Townsville Aboriginal and Islander Health Service (Queensland) - Funds are for emotional and wellbeing counselling services, case management, referral, intervention programs, advocacy and joint work with alcohol, tobacco and other drug services.Top of page
- Nunkuwarrin Yunti (SA) - Funds are incorporated into core funding for Nunkuwarrin Yunti’s social health and counselling program.
- Aboriginal Drug and Alcohol Council (SA) - The funds contribute to community education and health promotion programs.
- Mildura Aboriginal Health Service (Victoria) - Provides counselling, family support services, visiting psychiatric services, referrals, early intervention and mental health promotion.
- Rumbalara Aboriginal Cooperative (Victoria) - Provides crisis support services, cultural advice, family assistance and preventative programs.
- Ramahyuck and District Aboriginal Corporation (Victoria) - Auspices SEWB services for Bairnsdale, Lake Tyers and Moogji, and visiting psychiatric services.
- Central Gippsland Aboriginal Health (Victoria) - Provides outreach, counselling, home visits, support services and referrals for issues such as housing, shopping and budgeting.
- Bunurong Health Service (Victoria) - Provides a part-time visiting psychologist, counselling, family support and education, mental health camps and youth forums.
Top of page
- Victorian Aboriginal Health Service (Victoria) - Provides a Koori kids program and family counselling services, other counselling, mental health promotion and a visiting psychologist and psychiatrist.
- Yarra Valley Community Health Service (Victoria) - Provides visiting services, short term counselling, family support and education and peer support programs.
- Biripi (NSW) - Provides a mental health worker and a psychiatrist on a sessional basis. Funds are also used for operational costs to support the mental health program.
- Daruk Aboriginal Medical Service (NSW) - Funds are used as a contribution towards the mental health clinic.
- Durri (NSW) - Funds are used for the employment of a mental health worker, and for operational costs to support the mental health program.
- Illawarra Aboriginal Medical Service (NSW) - Provides a part time psychologist. Funds are also used for operational costs to support the mental health program
- Marr Mooditj (WA) - Provides a Mental Health Diploma. Marr Mooditj is the primary educator of Aboriginal Health Workers in WA.
- Kimberley Aboriginal Medical Services (WA) - Provides the ‘Heatworks Health Promotion’ Program, involving health promotion activities through health education and works programs.Top of page