Interim Evaluation of the Northern Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community Aged Care Workforce Development Projects - Attachments
Gevers Goddard Jones was contracted to undertake an evaluation of the Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Aged Care Workforce Development Projects (Workforce Development Projects). This literature review was conducted at commencement of the evaluation to inform both the methodology and to provide context and evidence for any conclusions or recommendation that may be drawn from the final report.
The projects aim to build capacity and sustainability in the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community aged care workforce with a view of improving the quality of community aged care services to Indigenous people in the NT. Three projects have been developed to meet these aims, including:
- Conversion of up to 349 Community Development Employment Project (CDEP) placements to paid positions in the community aged care
- The Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Training Resource Development Project
- The Northern Territory Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Aged Care Training Project.
- Building the capacity and sustainability of the Indigenous community aged care workforce in the NT
- Improving the quality of community aged care services to Indigenous people in the NT, and
- Whether the Projects as a whole, have had a positive impact on the aged care workforce and what the impact is.
The literature review included an internet search, review of research papers, review of government websites and reports, and review of recent media reports and includes the study of different research methodologies and background information on the projects. The literature review informed the evaluation design and ensured an understanding of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community aged care sector in the NT.
The literature review includes an overview of:
- The Northern Territory Community Care Programs and Workforce
- Community Development Employment Projects (CDEP)
- The Northern Territory Emergency Response Employment and Welfare Reform Measure
- Training in the Northern Territory and the Workforce Development Approach and
- The Evaluation Approach.