Dementia Services Pathways
G. Supporting documents by management stage of dementia
The following references provide examples of useful documents that illustrate best practice for each management stage of the dementia services pathway.
- Dementia Resource Guide, Department of Health and Ageing 2007
- Dementia Learning Resource for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Communities
www.alzheimers.org.au/understanding-dementia/dementia-learning-resource-for-aboriginal-and-torres-strait-islander-communities.aspx, not available November 2011.
- Centre for Cultural Diversity in Ageing, Dementia Care.
G.1 Awareness, recognition and referral
- One-Stop Shops for Access to Aged Care Information, Assessment and Services. Department of Health and Ageing. Available from:
http://www.yourhealth.gov.au/internet/yourhealth/publishing.nsf/Content/factsheet-agedcare-03, accessed October 2010.
- Alzheimer’s Australia. (2008). Perceptions of dementia in ethnic communities.
G.2 Initial assessment and diagnosis, and post diagnosis support
- Cognitive, Dementia and Memory Service (CDAMS), Victoria
- Clinical practice guidelines and care pathways for people with dementia living in the community
- Dementia Resource Guide, Assessment and diagnosis, Department of Health and Ageing 2007
- Diagnosis and management of dementia in general practice. Australian Family Physician. Vol. 33, No. 10, October 2004. Available from:
http://www.med.unsw.edu.au/psychweb.nsf/resources/adfoap_GPs/$file/Diagnosis+and+management+of+dementia+in+general+practice.pdf, accessed October 2010/
- Information and services for people living with dementia, Department of Health and Ageing,
- Kimberley Indigenous Cognitive Assessment (KICA),
G.3 Management, care, support and review
- Dementia: Carers and Families Learning Guide. Rural Health Education Foundation. (2007). Available from:
http://www.rhef.com.au/wp-content/uploads/616e_facil_lr.pdf, accessed October 2010.
- Nunn,R. While,C. & Sims,N. (2009). Out of the shadows. Development of a best practice model of care for people living with dementia. Royal District Nursing Service. http://www.fightdementia.org.au/common/files/NAT/20090603_Nat_CON_NunWhileCommCareBestPrac.pdf
- Aged Care and Rehabilitation Newsletter 10, July/August 2010. Clinical Networks Tasmania. Available from:
www.dhhs.tas.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0003/61752/Newsletter_No_10_July.August_2010.pdf, not available November 2011 .
- Australian Indigenous Health Infonet - dementia information, available at
G.4 End of life
- Guidelines for a palliative approach in residential aged care. National Health and Medical Research Council (2006). Available from:
http://www.nhmrc.gov.au/guidelines/publications/pc29, accessed October 2010.
- Palliative Dementia Care (COP-D1 Project). Available from:
http://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/WhatisPalliativeCare/NationalPalliativeCareProgram/COPD1PalliativeDementiaCare/tabid/1442/Default.aspx, accessed October 2010.
- Community Palliative Care (ComPAC Project). Department of Health and Ageing. Available from:
http://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/WhatisPalliativeCare/NationalPalliativeCareProgram/ComPAC/tabid/93/Default.aspx, accessed October 2010.
- Dementia and palliative care: further reading. Available from:
http://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/ClinicalPractice/SpecificPopulations/PeoplewithDementia/FurtherReading/tabid/795/Default.aspx, accessed October 2010.
- Taylor, A & Box, M. (1999). Multicultural Palliative Care Guidelines. Palliative Care Australia
- Providing culturally appropriate palliative care: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Resource Kit Project. Available from:
http://www.caresearch.com.au/caresearch/WhatisPalliativeCare/NationalPalliativeCareProgram/IndigenousPalliativeCareProject/tabid/86/Default.aspx, accessed October 2010.
- Successful pain assessment in older adults with dementia: barriers and strategies. Available from:
http://www.latrobe.edu.au/acebac/publications/?p=24, accessed October 2010.