This document discusses some of the evidence from the literature about male access to health services. It also considers some of the barriers males experience accessing health services.
What’s in this document?1This document first looks at various issues to do with access to health services for males:
- Access as part of overall health
- Optimal health outcomes for males
- Services which are accessible by males, and
- Equity between groups of males.
- Government action – policies and initiatives, and
- Community action – working together.
1 Most of the discussion refers to ‘males’, but on occasions the term ‘men’ is used to remain consistent with wording used in research papers. Wherever possible, male data is used but, when not available, data has been used for both males and females for particular population groups or issues where inferences for male health can reasonably be drawn.