There are many issues affecting the delivery of health services in rural regions that effect primary and specialist services. They include issues such as:
- the higher needs of these populations (see discussion above)
- the financial viability of providing services (see discussion below)
- the absence of health workforce across a range of areas
- inadequacies in health infrastructure and support
- the need for culturally appropriate services for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- the need for more flexible and alternative models of care more appropriate for rural and remote settings.