- Six potentially at-risk communities were selected and screened as a mapping exercise in Qld in 2012.
- Community screening coverage for trachoma in children aged 5-9 years in these six communities was 64% (194/301) (Table 5.1).
Clean face prevalence
- The overall prevalence of clean faces among 5-9-year-old children screened in Qld was 70% (136/194) (Table 5.1).
- No trachoma was reported in any of the six communities screened (Table 5.1).
- In one community in the Torres Strait, follicles were observed in eight children. PCR swabs were taken from the eight children and household contacts. Results from the PCR test were all negative for Chlamydia trachomatis.
- Treatment for trachoma was not required for any of the six communities screened (Table 5.1); however azithromycin was administered to the eight children found with trachoma like follicles in the Torres Strait and household contacts prior to the results of the PCR test being available.
- Health promotion activities were reported in all six communities deemed potentially at-risk (Table 5.2).
Figure 5.1 Trachoma prevalence in children aged 5‑9 years, number of communities screened and number of at‑risk communities in Queensland in 2012
Top of page
* Calculated as the proportions of children with active trachoma in age groups 1-4 and 5-9 years, weighted by the estimated population sizes of each age group. This calculation accounts for uneven coverage with respect to age groups
|Number of communities at risk||6|
|Number of communities screened||6|
|Trachoma prevalence 1-9 years (weighted by population)*||0%|
|Age group (years)||1-4||5-9||10-14||1-14|
|ABS estimated number of Aboriginal children at risk||390||425||293||1108|
|Jurisdiction Estimated number of Aboriginal children at risk||258||301||123||682|
|Children examined for clean face||1||194||50||245|
|Children with clean face||1||136||50||187|
|Clean face prevalence||100%||70%||100%||76%|
|Children examined for trachoma||1||194||52||247|
|Trachoma screening coverage||0.4%||64%||42%||36%|
|Children with active trachoma||0||0||0||0|
|Active trachoma prevalence||0%||0%||0%||0%|
* 2 -4 times per year
† 5-12 times per year
|Number of communities at-risk||6|
|Number of communities who reported health promotion activities||6|
|Methods of Health Promotion|
|Presentation to group||✓|
|Interactive group session|
|Community educators/health promoters|
|Frequency of health promotion activities|