New National Body to Support Medicare Locals
A national primary care organisation, the Australian General Practice Network, will form on 1 July 2012 a new national body for Medicare Locals– the Australian Government’s landmark new primary health care network.
View by date:Previous Ministers
PDF printable version of New national body to support Medicare Locals (PDF 26 KB)
7 February 2012
The Australian General Practice Network (AGPN), a national primary care organisation, will form on 1 July 2012, a new national body for Medicare Locals– the Gillard Government’s landmark new primary health care networks.
Health Minister Tanya Plibersek today announced that AGPN’s proposal to form the Medicare Local national body, to be called the Australian Medicare Local Network, has been accepted by the Government.
“Medicare Locals will make it easier for patients to access the services they need, by linking local GPs, nursing and other health professionals, hospitals and aged care, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health organisations, and maintaining up to date local service directories,” Ms Plibersek said.
“To achieve these objectives, the Australian Medicare Local Network will lead the way in assisting the nationwide network of 62 Medicare Locals as they deliver comprehensive primary health care services for local communities.”
The Australian Medicare Local Network will build and expand on AGPN’s current functions supporting divisions of general practice by:
- Supporting each Medicare Local to build strong links with Local Hospital Networks.
- Working with a wider range of general practice, health, social care and aged care stakeholders to strengthen and improve the country’s primary health care system to provide better, more accessible front line care for Australians.
- Promoting and developing Medicare Locals’ potential across the country to deliver locally designed primary health care services to meet community needs.
Medicare Locals will improve frontline primary care services for each local community through activities including better linking health services, supporting face-to-face after hours GP services, and identifying local health care needs and coordinating services to address those needs.
For more information on the role and function of the Australian Medicare Local Network see your Health website
For more information, contact the Minister’s Office on 02 6277 7220.
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.