Minister Congratulates SA’s Mental Health Champions
Minister for Mental Health and Ageing Mark Butler congratulated the winners of the 7th annual Dr Margaret Tobin Awards.
View by date:Previous Ministers
PDF printable version of Minister Congratulates SA’s Mental Health Champions (PDF 22 KB)
11 October 2010
Minister for Mental Health and Ageing Mark Butler today congratulated the winners of the 7th annual Dr Margaret Tobin Awards.
The awards were presented in Adelaide and coincided with the start of Mental Health Week in SA, which aims to raise awareness about mental illness and reduce the stigma and discrimination associated with it.
“It’s very important that the government, the sector and the community work together to reduce stigma associated with mental illness, which can act as a barrier for people seeking help,” Mr Butler said.
“The individuals and organisations recognised today have all worked hard to support and promote positive mental health in South Australia reducing that stigma and decreasing discrimination in the community.
“I congratulate all of the winners today, as well as all of the entrants in this year’s awards, who have all contributed to the health and well-being of South Australians.”
The Dr Margaret Tobin Awards were established in 2004 in recognition of the contribution of the late Dr Tobin toward mental health reform in South Australia.
- CATEGORY 1: Excellence in leadership and commitment to mental health reform. Winner: Ms Zhila Javidi
- CATEGORY 2: Excellence in promoting an understanding of mental health in the community. Winner: Carer Support – The Mental Health Team
- CATEGORY 3: Excellence in the provision of services to people with a mental illness who are most in need or most at risk. Winner: Helping Hand Aged Care – Mental Health Team
- CATEGORY 4: Media Award – excellence in promoting positive mental health by reporting mental illness and mental health in a balanced and respectful way. Winner: The Guardian Messenger
- CATEGORY 5: Aboriginal Award – excellence in the provision of mental health services for those most in need or most at risk. Joint Winners: Jenny Everett/Bobbi Sawyer
- CATEGORY 6: Consumer/Carer/Volunteer Award. Winner: Dave Tapley
For more information, please contact the Minister’s Office on 02 6277 7280
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.