Independent Panel report maps bold vision for Australian sport
The Minister for Sport Kate Ellis welcomed the release of The Future of Australian Sport from the Independent Sport Panel on 17 November 2009.
View by date:Previous Ministers
PDF printable version of Independent Panel report maps bold vision for Australian sport (PDF 26 KB)
17 November 2009
The Minister for Sport Kate Ellis today welcomed the release of The Future of Australian Sport from the Independent Sport Panel.
The Rudd Government has undertaken the biggest review of sport in more than a decade to ensure that Australia is prepared for the critical challenges facing sport and our community in the future.
Underlying challenges have been emerging for Australian elite sport over a number of years that need be addressed to ensure Australia’s continued success on the international stage.
As a nation it is also clear that the full capacity of sport had not been adequately harnessed at a community and grass roots level and placed at the centre of preventative health efforts aimed at tackling serious emerging health issues such as obesity.
This report challenges us to build a system based on a broad vision for Australian sport.
The Independent Sport Panel featured 39 recommendations including:
- The first ever comprehensive National Sports Policy Framework - a national and innovative approach to developing sports policy at both an elite and community level.
- Revolutionising the AIS and our state and territory institutes - the back bone of elite sport in this country - to create a truly national and world class system for our athletes.
- A broadening of the definition of sporting success to include measures of our nation’s fitness and participation in activity.
- A focus on physical education in our schools; looking at ways we can increase participation through innovative and flexible activities and investing in our sporting infrastructure both in facility and human volunteer terms.
The Government remains committed to being a strong financial partner of elite sport into the future.
The comprehensive report of businessman David Crawford and his team is the product of consultation with more than 650 groups and individuals across the spectrum of Australian sport.
The report examines elite and community level sport as well as sport for young people, women and men, sport for people with a disability and the engagement of Indigenous and ethnic Australians.
I thank Mr Crawford and his team for their work in producing this report and I look forward to working with Australian sport and the community to build a stronger sporting system for the future.
The Government will consider the recommendations and respond as a priority.
The full report is at www.sportpanel.org.au
For more information, please contact the Minister's office on (02) 6277 7350[
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.