Think about when and where you can be physically active. Making some small changes to your daily routine can make a big difference.
Build Activity into your Day
- For short trips, walk or cycle and leave the car at home.
- For longer trips, walk or cycle part of the way.
- Use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Park further away from your destination and walk.
Active and Safe
- If you are new to physical activity, have a health problem, or are concerned about the safety of being (more) active, speak with your doctor or health professional about the most suitable activities for you.
- Protect yourself from the sun – you should wear sun-protective clothing, including a hat, and apply sunscreen regularly.
Active at Work
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Walk to deliver a message to your colleague, rather than emailing
- Leave your desk at lunch time and enjoy a short walk outside.
- Organise walking meetings.
Active IndoorsDon’t let the weather stop you!
- Body weight exercises like squats, push-ups, sit-ups and lunges, can all be done indoors.
- Try indoor activities like;
- indoor swimming,
- yoga or pilates,
- martial arts,
- squash, or
- indoor rock climbing.
Tips for Reducing Sedentary Behaviour
- Get up to change the channel on the TV instead of using the remote.
- When tidying up, put things away in multiple small trips rather than one big haul.
- Preset the timer on your TV to turn off after an hour to remind you to get up and move more.
- Walk around when talking on your mobile phone.
- Stand up and move during your favourite TV shows.
- Instead of sitting and reading, listen to recorded books while you walk, clean, or work in the garden.
- Stand on public transport and get off one stop earlier than your destination.
- Take your lunch break outside or in another location instead of sitting and eating at your desk.
- Stand while you read at work.
- Move your rubbish bin away from your desk so you have to get up to use it.
- Use the speakerphone for conference calls, and walk around the room during the conference.
- Ask your boss for a ‘walk and talk’ meeting rather than a sit down meeting.
Set an alarm on your computer to remind you to stand up and move more often.
How about delivering the message in person, instead of by email?
Make your move - Sit less - Be active for life!