Specialist Training Program (STP)
The Specialist Training Program provides support to enable medical specialist trainees to rotate through an expanded range of settings beyond traditional public teaching hospitals.
From 1 January 2010 the Specialist Training Program (STP) became the single platform for Commonwealth grants support for specialist training initiatives. The aims and objectives of this program are to:
- increase the capacity of the health workforce to train specialists;
- better train specialists with education that matches the nature of demand and reflects the way health services are delivered;
- develop networked specialist training arrangements, which are:
- integrated series of accredited training sites focusing on providing health care, through which trainees may rotate in the pursuit of specialist qualification;
- based on health service delivery requirements of a region with the education potential of training sites being matched to the health service delivery potential inherent in increased availability of a specialist trainee workforce.
The level of funding available for training posts is a salary contribution of $100,000 (ex GST) per FTE. Posts in rural locations may also be provided with rural loadings, of up to $20,000 (ex GST) per FTE.
In addition to establishing specialist training posts, the program also provides funds for a range of support activities, including:
- clinical supervision of up to $30,000 (ex GST) per annum and training infrastructure of up to $10,000 (ex GST) every three years for all private sector STP training;
- developing system wide education and infrastructure support projects to enhance training opportunities for eligible trainees; and
- developing support projects aimed at Specialist International Medical Graduates (SIMGs) to assist these doctors gain Fellowship in a timely and efficient manner.
Private sector clinical supervision and training infrastructure allowance
Currently funded STP training posts in the private sector may apply for a private sector clinical supervision and training infrastructure (PICS) allowance. Eligible posts will be contacted in writing by the Department in order to commence the PICS process for 2012. Applicants who are successful in the 2013 STP Application Round will have their eligibility for the PICS allowance determined at the time of application.
Contact details for the Specialist Medical Colleges:
|College||Contact Name||Contact Phone||Contact Email||College website|
|Australasian College of Dermatologists||Chantelle Sarkis||02 8741 email@example.com|
|Australasian College for Emergency Medicine||Sam Denny||03 9320 0444||Sam.Denny@acem.org.au||Australasian College of Dermatologists|
|Australasian College of Sports Physicians||Dr Diana Robinson||0403 007 firstname.lastname@example.org||Australasian College of Sports Physicians|
|Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists||Donna Fahie||03 9093 email@example.com||Australian & New Zealand College of Anaesthetists|
|College of Intensive Care Medicine of Australia and New Zealand||Philip Hart||03 9514 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators||Cassie Smith||03 9824 4699||CSmith@racma.edu.au||Royal Australasian College of Medical Administrators|
|Royal Australasian College of Physicians||STP Unit||02 9256 email@example.com||Royal Australasian College of Physicians|
|Royal Australasian College of Surgeons||Anupa Ranchhod||03 9249 firstname.lastname@example.org||Royal Australasian College of Surgeons|
|Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists||Penny Gormly||02 9690 email@example.com||Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists|
|Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists||Anne Davenport||03 9412 firstname.lastname@example.org||Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists |
|Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists||Vase Jovanoska||03 9601 email@example.com||Royal Australian & New Zealand College of Psychiatrists |
|Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists||Nick Bradshaw||02 9268 9731||Nick.Bradshaw@ranzcr.edu.au||Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists |
|Royal College of Pathologists of Australasia||Vanessa White||02 8356 firstname.lastname@example.org|
More information about the Specialist Training Program
For further information about the Specialist Training Program, email email@example.com.