Eligibility requirementsTo be eligible for this program a doctor must:
- be non-vocationally recognised (also known as Other Medical Practitioners) and
- agree to express an interest in achieving Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners or Fellowship of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine.
- Rural, Remote Metropolitan Area (RRMA) classifications 4-7
- Defined 'areas of consideration' or
- Approved RRMA 3 locations which have significant medical workforce shortages (as deemed eligible by the Departmental Delegate).
- Salaried doctors
- Overseas Trained Doctors and
- Temporary Resident Doctors.
Guidelines and registration formRural Other Medical Practitioners Program (ROMPS) Guidelines (PDF 114 KB)
Rural Other Medical Practitioners Program (ROMPS) Registration form (PDF 70 KB)
If you are unable to download the PDF documents, please email: OMPS@health.gov.au
Contact for more informationIf you have any enquiries relating to the status of your application, payments, eligibility or whether a particular location is eligible for the program, contact Medicare Australia on 1800 032 259.
Page last reviewed: 28 July 2011
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.