60 minutes, every day.
Active and Fun
- Encourage children to play active games like obstacle courses, tag, skipping or throwing a ball or frisbee.
- Visit playgrounds, parks, nature reserves, ovals or beaches.
- Get children involved in a variety of different sports and activities.
Active and Safe
- Start slowly and build up the amount and intensity of physical activity.
- Protect children from the sun – ensure children wear sun-protective clothing, including a hat, and apply sunscreen regularly.
- Always supervise children appropriately when in and around water.
- Speak with your doctor or other health professional if your child has a medical condition.
Active at Home
- Limit time for watching TV and using electronic games.
- Store portable electronic devices out of sight.
- Enjoy a walk with children around your local area.
- Children can help with gardening activities like digging, sweeping or raking.
- For short trips, walk or ride safely.
- For longer trips, park the car some distance away and walk with children for the rest of the trip.
For Stronger Muscles & BonesEncourage children to:
- Skip, run, hop and jump.
- Climb or swing on monkey bars and climbing frames.
- Play games like tug-o-war and hopscotch.
- Do structured activities like dance, gymnastics and martial arts.
Tips for Reducing Sedentary Behaviour and Screen Time
- Reward the kids with a trip to the park instead of TV or computer time, and enjoy the quality time together.
- Set a ‘no screen time’ rule at dinner time and before school.
- How about walking, riding, skateboarding or scooting safely to school or other places, or helping to wash the car, walk the dog, or dig in the garden?
- Make bedrooms a TV and computer free zone
- Give gifts like skipping ropes, balls or kites to encourage active play.
What will you do?
Make your move - Sit less - Be active for life!