60 minutes, every day.
Active and FunInstead of watching TV or using other electronic media:
- Try social outdoor activities like kicking a footy or throwing a frisbee with friends or family.
- Catch up with friends to walk and talk, instead of sitting down to chat.
- Swap social media for social activity.
Active and Safe
- Start slowly and build up the amount and intensity of physical activity.
- Protect yourself from the sun – you should wear sun-protective clothing, including a hat, and apply sunscreen regularly.
- If you have a medical condition, speak with your doctor about the most suitable activities for you.
- For short trips, walk, ride or skateboard safely, instead of travelling by car.
- Use public transport and walk or ride to and from the bus stop or train station.
- Get off the bus one stop earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- When out shopping, use the stairs instead of the lift or escalator.
Active at Home
- Plan specific, limited time periods for watching TV and using electronic media.
- Sleep time is important – avoid using electronic media just before going to sleep.
- Do a DVD-based exercise or dance class.
For Stronger Bones & Muscles
- Join a martial arts class.
- Take the stairs, instead of the lift or escalator.
- Learn to dance.
Tips and Ideas for Sitting Less
- Stand up and move during your favourite TV shows.
- Get up to change the channel on the TV.
- Stand or walk around while waiting for the bus or train.
- Stand up while talking on the phone.
- Set an alarm on your computer or electronic device to remind you to move more often.
- Listen to recorded books as you do your cleaning or go for a walk, rather than sitting down to read.