Choose Health: Be Active: A physical activity guide for older Australians
Making sure your activities are safe
- Start slowly and allow your body time to warm up. Increase your activity level gradually over weeks not days.
- Do some stretching exercises after your activity to help avoid muscle soreness and injury.
Wear comfortable clothes
- Wear loose clothes and supportive shoes. This will make your activity safer and more enjoyable.
Drink enough water
- Remember to drink lots of water before, during and after your activity (do not wait until you are thirsty).
Set the right pace
- The old saying ‘no pain, no gain’ is not true. If you feel any pain, slow down or stop!
- If you have stopped physical activity or are starting a new physical activity, start at a level that you can manage easily and gradually build up.
- If you stopped exercising because of a new health problem, you may need to discuss starting again with your doctor or a health professional.