New or relocating pharmacy
Change pharmacy ownership
Change pharmacy business name
Change size of approved pharmacy premises
Change of bank account details
Authority for authorised person(s) to sign forms
Temporary pharmacy closure – deactivation
Pharmacy affected by disaster
Death of approved pharmacist
Claiming for PBS medicines
New or relocating pharmacyPharmacists must apply to the Secretary of The Department of Health under section 90 of the National Health Act 1953, to supply Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS) medicines:
- At new pharmacy premises; or
- To relocate an existing pharmacy to other premises.
- determine which Pharmacy Location Rule to apply for
- complete the Application for approval to supply pharmaceutical benefits at particular premises (Privacy Note)
- obtain approval from the relevant state or territory regulatory authority to operate a pharmacy business at the proposed premises
- provide relevant information to support the application
- determine which Pharmacy Location Rule to apply for
- submit an Applying for approval to supply pharmaceutical benefits at a particular premises (Privacy Note) application form and include the required documentation (pharmacists wishing to relocate an approved pharmacy must apply for approval)
- obtain approval from the relevant state or territory regulatory authority to operate a pharmacy business at the relocated premises
- request in writing for the approval to be deactivated if the approved premises has been vacated
Change pharmacy ownershipA new owner must be approved to supply PBS medicines. To apply for approval that involves a change of ownership of a pharmacy, the owner/s must:
- submit an Application for approval change of ownership of a pharmacy (not involving relocation) form (Privacy Note).
- notify the relevant state or territory regulatory authority that the pharmacy has been transferred
Change pharmacy business nameTo notify of a change in the pharmacy business name, the approved pharmacist must:
- submit a Notification of change of pharmacy registered business (trading) name (Privacy Note).
- provide a current ASIC report and ABN information
- provide evidence from the relevant state or territory regulatory authority of the name change
Change size of approved pharmacy premisesApproval must be obtained before expanding/contracting the size of a pharmacy. To apply for approval to expand or reduce the size of the pharmacy premises, the approved pharmacist must:
- submit an Applying for approval to supply pharmaceutical benefits at a particular premises form (Privacy Note).
- provide copies of the current and proposed plans of the premises
- notify the relevant state or territory regulatory authority that the pharmacy premises has been resized
Change of bank account detailsTo notify of the bank account to which you wish your PBS payments to be paid, you must complete the Notification of bank account details for an approved pharmacist form (Privacy Note).
Authority for authorised person(s) to sign formsTo authorise a pharmacist to sign PBS claim forms on behalf of the approved pharmacist, you must complete the Authority to authorise pharmacist(s) to sign claim forms on behalf of approved pharmacist(s) form (Privacy Note).
Temporary pharmacy closure – deactivationAn approved pharmacist who needs to close their pharmacy temporarily must first request deactivation, in writing, before ceasing supply of pharmaceutical benefits. Further information is available in the Department’s Deactivation guidelines.
Pharmacy affected by disasterIf the pharmacy is affected by disaster, permission to supply PBS medicines at alternative premises for a temporary period can be obtained.
To apply, email email@example.com and include details and evidence of the disaster and the alternative premises.
Pharmacy insolvencyThe approval to supply pharmaceutical benefits, granted to a pharmacist under section 90 of the ]National Health Act 1953[, is a statutory interest given to the pharmacist to supply PBS medicines at particular pharmacy premises.
If the approved pharmacist is a company that has gone into external administration, the appointed administrator must provide the Department of Health with:
- notice of appointment
- signed evidence of acceptance of appointment on relevant company letterhead
The appointed administrator is also required to notify the relevant state or territory regulatory authority of its appointment.
Death of approved pharmacistThe Department must be notified as soon as possible if an approved pharmacist dies. A deceased estate is administered under section 91 of the National Health Act 1953.
The deceased’s pharmacy may only be operated by:
- a legal personal representative
- an executor, or
- an administrator whose duty it is to settle the affairs of the deceased
The representative/s will need to provide the following:
- an Application for permission to carry on business as a pharmacist by the legal personal representative of a deceased approved pharmacist form (Privacy Note)
- evidence that the applicant is, or is likely to become, the legal personal representative, and
- a certified copy of the death certificate
- driver’s licence
- passport, or
- photo ID card
They must also provide:
- Authority to authorise pharmacist(s) to sign claim forms on behalf of section 91 permission holder from (Privacy Note)
One of the following is also required:
- a certified copy of the deceased approved pharmacist's will
- a letter of probate, or
- a statutory declaration signed by the applicant
The partners must provide:
- a certified copy of the deceased approved pharmacist death certificate, and
- a copy of the partnership agreement
Claiming for PBS medicinesThe Commonwealth will reimburse PBS medicines supplied to Australian residents and eligible overseas visitors.
To make a claim for reimbursement all of the following forms must be submitted to the Department of Human Services:
- Notification of Australian Business Number and reference identification for tax treatment purposes and Recipient Created Tax Invoice agreement form
- Online claiming for Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme - Application and terms and conditions form