The National Palliative Care Strategy – Supporting Australians to Live Well at the End of Life
The National Palliative Care Strategy guides palliative care initiatives and services.
In November 2010 the Australian Health Ministers’ Conference endorsed the National Palliative Care Strategy. The Strategy is the policy document that the Australian Government and State and Territory governments use to guide palliative care policy development and service delivery across Australia.
The Strategy has four goal areas:
Awareness and Understanding
- To significantly improve the appreciation of dying and death as a normal part of the life continuum.
- To enhance community and professional awareness of the scope of, and benefits of timely and appropriate access to palliative care services.
Appropriateness and Effectiveness
- Appropriate and effective palliative care is available to all Australians based on need.
Leadership and Governance
- To support the collaborative, proactive, effective governance of national palliative care strategies, resources and approaches.
Capacity and Capability
- To build and enhance the capacity of all relevant sectors in health and human services to provide quality palliative care.
You may download this document in PDF format:
PDF printable version of the National Palliative Care Strategy (PDF 274 KB).
If you are unable to download the PDF file please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy to be sent to you.
Top of page
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.