- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report
- Previous Reports and Updates
- Annual Reports
- Accessibility Issues
The Australian Influenza Surveillance Report is published on a fortnightly basis during the influenza season, typically between May and October. Influenza activity updates will be published outside of the seasonal period, with updates also provided during the season. A more in-depth end-of-season report is also published in Communicable Diseases Intelligence journal.
- Nationally, influenza activity has declined following a seasonal peak in mid-August.
- This fortnight, influenza activity was stable or decreasing across most regions in the country, with the exception of the Top End of the Northern Territory and Tasmania where activity continued to increase.
- This year children aged less than 15 years accounted for one-third of all influenza notifications, this compares with one-quarter of all notifications in 2014. Notification rates have been highest among those aged between 5 and 9 and over 85 years with a secondary peak in those aged 35-44 years.
- Influenza B continues to be the dominant influenza virus type circulating nationally this fortnight. Influenza A activity is stable nationally, however increases were seen in the Northern Territory, Queensland, South Australia and Western Australia.
- All systems that monitor influenza-like illness (ILI) activity continued to report decreasing activity this fortnight following a seasonal peak in mid-August. Influenza is the primary cause of ILI in the community this fortnight however other respiratory viruses continue to circulate at elevated levels.
- Hospitalisations with confirmed influenza have declined following a peak in mid-August. Influenza B continues to account for more than half of admissions.
- The seasonal influenza vaccines appear to be a good match for circulating strains with 80% of samples matching the trivalent seasonal vaccine (TIV).
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 08 - 29 August to 11 September 2015 (PDF 1743 KB)
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 08 - 29 August to 11 September 2015 (Word 2322 KB)
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2015
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2014
- Previous Reports - 2013
- Previous Reports - 2012
- Previous Reports - 2011
- Previous Reports - 2010
- Previous Reports - 2009
Should you encounter issues in accessing the information contained either on this webpage or within the downloadable full reports please email flu (firstname.lastname@example.org) or contact the Department of Health switchboard on 02 6289 1555 or 1800 020 103.top of page