- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report
- Previous Reports and Updates
- Annual Reports
- Accessibility Issues
The Australian Influenza Surveillance Report is published on a fortnightly basis during the influenza season, typically between May and October. Influenza activity updates will be published outside of the seasonal period, with updates also provided during the season. A more in-depth end-of-season report is also published in Communicable Diseases Intelligence journal.
- There are indications that the 2015 influenza season is imminent. While influenza activity is currently variable across the country, most surveillance systems are showing an overall increase.
- As at 19 June 2015, there were 11,585 cases of laboratory confirmed influenza reported, with 1,795 notifications reported in the most recent fortnight.
- So far this year, influenza A has been the predominant influenza virus type. However influenza B has been circulating at increasing levels and is the predominant influenza virus type circulating in the most recent fortnight. This trend is common amongst all jurisdictions, except Tasmania and the Northern Territory where overall activity is low.
- Systems that monitor influenza-like illness (ILI) are reporting low levels of activity, with an increase in activity in recent weeks, as expected at this time of year.
- Respiratory viruses other than influenza are more commonly causing ILI in the community, with rhinovirus and RSV detected most frequently.
- Influenza B is the dominant type responsible for influenza associated hospitalisations.
- There is no indication of the potential severity of the season at this time.
- Of the limited number of isolates that have been further characterised for similarity with the vaccine components, influenza A viruses appear to be well matched. Over 80% of the influenza B viruses characterised are a match to the trivalent vaccine strain; the remaining influenza B viruses match the additional strain in the quadrivalent vaccine.
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 02 - 06 June 2015 to 19 June (PDF)
- Australian Influenza Surveillance Report No 02 - 06 June 2015 to 19 June (Word)
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2015
- Previous Reports and Updates - 2014
- Previous Reports - 2013
- Previous Reports - 2012
- Previous Reports - 2011
- Previous Reports - 2010
- Previous Reports - 2009
Should you encounter issues in accessing the information contained either on this web page or within the downloadable full reports please email flu (email@example.com) or contact the Department of Health switchboard on 02 6289 1555 or 1800 020 103.top of page