MERS coronavirus is a disease caused by a new virus that causes a rapid onset of severe respiratory disease in people. Most cases have occurred in people with underlying conditions that may make them more likely to get respiratory infections.
All cases have lived in or travelled to the Middle East, or have had close contact with people who acquired the infection in the Middle East. There have been no cases in Australia.
The Department has made the following information resources available for a range of audiences.
- Fact Sheet for consumers/patients
- Information for GPs on MERS coronavirus
- Information for clinicians, laboratories and public health personnel on MERS coronavirus
- 2013-08-29 Epidemiological summary on MERS-CoV (Word 381 KB)
- 2013-08-29 Epidemiological summary on MERS-CoV (PDF 449 KB)
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.