Established measures are in place at Australian First Points of Entry (FPoE) to prevent the incursion of exotic mosquitoes at the border and the subsequent establishment of breeding populations in Australia.
These measures include:
- disinsection of all aircraft entering Australia,
- vector monitoring, including trapping and specimen analysis, and
- vector control at Australian air and sea ports including residual insecticides, fogging with adulticides, and larvicides applied to standing water.
Health in collaboration with the Department of Agriculture and Water Resources and the National Arbovirus and Malaria Advisory Committee developed the following document to provide guidance to stakeholders regarding the detection and control of exotic mosquitoes at Australia’s first points of entry.
- Response Guide for Exotic Mosquito Incursions at Australian First Points of Entry (PDF 484 KB)
- Response Guide for Exotic Mosquito Incursions at Australian First Points of Entry (Word 637 KB)