The National Prescribing Service (NPS) is a member-based organisation providing accurate, balanced, evidence-based information and services to health professionals and the community on Quality Use of Medicines (QUM). To achieve this we work in partnership with GPs, pharmacists, specialists, other health professionals, Government, pharmaceutical industry, consumer organisations and the community. We are independent, non-profit and funded by the Department of Health and Ageing.
The initiative aims to promote better health by building awareness, knowledge and skills in the community that will lead to QUM by:
- Promoting consumer and community understanding and awareness of choices between the use of medicines and alternative approaches to health problems;
- Raising and improving consumer and community awareness of both the benefits and risks of medicines;
- Providing consumers and the community with the opportunity to develop skills and knowledge to engage in decision making about medicines;
- Building on established communication channels at all levels and improving communication and cooperation between consumers and health professionals;
- Increasing consumer awareness about the key role they play in their medication management in partnership with their health professionals.