Page last reviewed: 19 August 2014The strategy was endorsed in April 1992 by the then Australian Health Ministers' Conference (AHMC) as a framework to guide mental health reform. The National mental health strategy aims to:
- Promote the mental health of the Australian community
- Where possible, prevent the development of mental disorder
- Reduce the impact of mental disorders on individuals, families and the community
- Assure the rights of people with mental illness.
- National mental health policy
- National mental health plan
- Mental health statement of rights and responsibilities