Applicants who have disabilityThe department welcomes applications from skilled achievers with disability. As a leading APS employer of staff with disability and a member of the Australian Network on Disability, the department is committed to supporting and enabling high performance from its staff with disability.
Assistance for hearing and speech impairedThe department uses the National Relay Service (NRS). Applicants who are hearing or speech impaired can obtain further information by contacting the NRS and ask to be connected to (02) 6289 8888.
Applicants who have visual disabilityThe department has tested our online recruitment system with a range of accessibility software. If you have any issues with lodging your application you can contact the officer outlined in the advertisement for advice.
Applicants who are Aboriginal & Torres Strait IslanderWould you like the chance to be a part of a leading organisation that recognises, appreciates and supports the important contribution Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff bring to the workplace? Further information is supported in the following document:
- Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants (Word 27 KB)
- Information for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Applicants (PDF 34 KB).
CitizenshipTo be eligible to apply for a vacancy it is a requirement that you are an Australian citizen or a permanent resident eligible to apply for citizenship. In some cases the Secretary may waive this requirement. Where this is the case, it will be noted in the advertisement.
Health clearanceOn commencement staff will complete a Health Declaration form. The purpose of the Health Declaration form is to assist the department in determining whether there are any existing health issues that would impact on your ability to perform the duties of the position. This allows the department to meet its duty of care under occupational health and safety legislation and identify any reasonable adjustments you may require in the workplace.
Character clearanceCharacter clearances enable the department to ensure that a prospective employee is a suitable person to be engaged as an APS employee, or for specific duties. All staff are required to complete the Australian Federal Police (AFP) check authorisation form at the time of commencement.
Security clearanceSome positions deal with sensitive or confidential information. In the event you are successful you will be required to agree to a security assessment and clearance to the level required. Positions requiring security assessment will be identified in advertising.Top of page
3. Preparing your application
PreparationPrior to commencing your application it is recommended that you:
- read the Job Requirements outlined in the Job Description and Applicant Information Kit;
- research the department, using the information available on the website; and
- contact the nominated contact officer if you have queries about the vacancy.
Addressing the application requirementsYour application will be assessed by the Selection Advisory Committee against the capabilities described in the ILS for the classification. Information on how to apply is included in the job description. In applying, please consider the following:
- the ILS for the classification of the vacancy;
- structuring your response to demonstrate your relevant skills, capabilities and experience;
- writing in a clear and concise manner;
- checking spelling and grammar;
- keeping the word limit as indicated in the online recruitment system.
HINTWe recommend you complete your responses in a Microsoft Word document, saving as you go. Once you have your responses finalised, copy and paste them into each response box.
- You may need to first paste your responses into Microsoft's NotePad to remove any formatting that could affect the word count.
- Use plain text without bold or underline.
- If you wish to use dot or bullet points, indicate these with asterisks (*) or dashes (-).
- Do not use double spacing between sentences or double returns between paragraphs as these are counted as words.
STARA common and effective approach to address the application questions is the STAR model; i.e.,
- Situation—provide a brief outline of the situation or setting for your example
- Task—explain the role you performed
- Action—explain the actions you took and how you did it
- Result—describe the outcomes from your actions
Preparing your resuméIn preparing your resumé it is recommended you include the following information:
- personal details including your name and address;
- outline your employment history starting with your current employer. Include the name of your employers, the dates of your employment and a brief outline of your key duties;
- educational qualifications; and
- membership of professional organisations.
Nominating refereesIn preparing your application you will be asked to nominate two referees who can provide comments on your work performance. Your primary referee should be your current immediate supervisor.
The selection advisory committee may seek a written or oral referee report at any stage during the assessment process. Referees will be requested to comment on your work performance against the department's ILS.
QuestionsContact the nominated contact officer if you have any questions about the position, lodging your application or the progress of your application. The details of the contact officer will appear in the advertisement.
4. Lodging your application
LodgingThe preferred method to lodge your application is using the department’s online recruitment system. If it is not possible to submit your application using the system, contact the nominated contact officer to make alternative arrangements.
Closing dateThe closing date will be specified in the advertisement and displayed on the online recruitment system. Closing times are based on Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST). Generally, late applications are not accepted. If there are exceptional circumstances, contact the nominated contact officer to discuss your circumstances and to request an extension. It is not guaranteed an extension will be granted.
Top of page