Printable version of 27/13 (PDF 98 KB)
16 May 2013
Release of Revised Data Specifications For The 2012/13 HCP, HCP1 And PHDB Data Collections, Effective 1 July 2013
This circular releases revised data specifications, effective 1 July 2013, for the following 2012/13 Hospital Casemix Protocol and Private Hospital Data Bureau data collections: HCP - Hospital to Insurer; HCP1 - Insurer to Department; and, PHDB - Hospital to Department.
The revisions have been made in response to changes in new versions of the ICD-10-AM (v8) and AR-DRG (v7.0) classifications being introduced on 1 July 2013:
- addition of new values to the data items for ICD Version (HCP and PHDB Header Records) and DRG Version (HCP, HCP1 and PHDB); and,
- revision of the Condition Onset Flag (COF) data item to reflect a major change in Australian Coding Standard 0048 regarding permissible COF values for the Principal Diagnosis code (HCP, HCP1 and PHDB).
In addition, the following minor edits have been made to improve clarity and data handling:
- an update to the Explanatory Notes regarding access to the list of hospital provider numbers (HCP, HCP1 and PHDB);
- a change to the allowed values, from 1-99 to 1 only, for the data item, Number of Insurers (HCP1 File Header); and,
- a change to the edit rules for the following four data items:
-Admission Time and Separation Time (HCP, HCP1 and PHDB); and
-Special Care Nursery Days and Coronary Care Unit Days (PHDB).
The revised data specifications have been developed with the agreement and advice of insurers, service providers and software vendors.
The data specifications can be found on the Department’s website
Any questions relating to the final data specifications should be sent to the HCP Inbox
If you require further information please telephone: (02) 6289 9853/24 hr answering machine or email the enquiry to Private Health Insurance Branch
For more information visit 2013 Private Health Insurance (PHI) Circulars
Changing your e-mail address? No longer want circulars? Please email Private Health Insurance Branch