Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee
Glossary of P Terms
Glossary to accompany the November 1995 edition of the Guidelines for the Pharmaceutical Industry on Preparation of Submissions to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee
Glossary of Terms to accompany the 1995 edition of the Guidelines for the Pharmaceutical Industry on Preparation of Submissions to the Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee
>> Glossary of terms - A
>> Glossary of terms - B
>> Glossary of terms - C
>> Glossary of terms - D
>> Glossary of terms - E
>> Glossary of terms - F
>> Glossary of terms - H
>> Glossary of terms - I & L
>> Glossary of terms - M
>> Glossary of terms - N
>> Glossary of terms - O
>> Glossary of terms - P
>> Glossary of terms - Q
>> Glossary of terms - R
>> Glossary of terms - S
>> Glossary of terms - T
>> Glossary of terms - U, V & W
- Parallel group (compare with cross-over) An experimental design where each group in a comparative trial receives only one therapy and does not cross-over to the other therapy.
- Parameter In epidemiology, a measurable characteristic of a population. In economics, a constant in a model or formula.
- Patient-relevant outcome (see Appendix D) An umbrella term covering any health outcome that is meaningful to the patient (or, if necessary, the next best surrogate outcome), any resource provided as part of on-going therapy of the patient's disease or disorder, any indirect outcome or any intangible outcome. Common examples of patient-relevant outcomes include: primary clinical outcomes, quality of life or utility measures and economic outcomes.
- PB11 Pharmaceutical Benefits Form 11: application form for listing a drug on the PBS
- PBAC Pharmaceutical Benefits Advisory Committee
- PBPA Pharmaceutical Benefits Pricing Authority
- PBS Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme
- Perspective The viewpoint from which an economic analysis is conducted (eg society, government, individual) which defines which costs and outcomes will be examined.
- PES Pharmaceutical Evaluation Section
- Pool (compare with lump) An appropriate statistical combination of data from several trials eg using the fixed effects model for dichotomous data.
- Power The ability of a trial to demonstrate a treatment effect if one exists.
- Precision A measure of the variability or random variation in a set of data. The inverse of the variance.
- Present value The value of a future cost or benefit after adjusting for time preferences by discounting.
- Prevalence (compare with incidence) The number of events (eg cases of a disease) in a defined population at a specified point in time divided by the number of people in that population.
- Price The exchange value of a good or service, most commonly expressed as the amount of money an individual or organisation is prepared to pay to buy a unit of that good or service. The price of a drug on the PBS illustrates why the purchaser may need to be identified as the following could all apply: dispensed price; list price or price to chemist; price to wholesaler or ex-manufacturer's price. For an economic evaluation submitted to the PBAC the dispensed price is generally used for the proposed drug and any other relevant PBS drugs.
- Price premium The increase in price of a drug over its main comparator(s).
- Proposed drug The drug which is the subject of a submission to the PBAC.
- Prospective data Data collected after the study was started.