Final ReportThe final report on the trial is available for viewing at the Australian Point of Care Practitioners' Network (APPN) website.
For queries about PoCT, please email the NPAAC Secretariat.
Trial objectivesThe objectives of the trial were to:
- investigate and evaluate the clinical effectiveness, cost effectiveness and safety of PoCT in a general practice setting for a Medical Services Advisory Committee (MSAC) assessment;
- investigate and evaluate the benefits to the patient and general practitioner and the potential health outcomes of use of PoCT devices in a general practice setting; and
- evaluate the appropriateness and effectiveness of the quality framework which has been developed for the trial.
Tests undertakenPatients who were undergoing anticoagulant therapy or who had established hyperlipidaemia or diabetes participated in the trial. The pathology tests trialled were:
- International Normalised Ratio (INR);
- Total Cholesterol (TC), High Density Lipoprotein (HDL), Triglycerides (TG); and
- Glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1c), microalbumin.