In accordance with the Food Regulation Agreement, the Australian Government Department of Health is responsible for the provision of secretariat services to the Legislative and Governance Forum on Food Regulation (the Forum), the Food Regulation Standing Committee (FRSC) and the Implementation Sub-Committee (ISC).
The Secretariat is independent of the Commonwealth in relation to its day-to-day operations of the Forum, FRSC and ISC.
The Operating Procedures state that the Secretariat is responsible for providing timely and effective organisational support to these committees, and their Chairs including:
- organising the Forum, FRSC and ISC meetings;
- organising teleconferences as required;
- coordinating out-of-session Forum, FRSC and ISC business;
- coordinating the drafting of agenda papers and their circulation to the Forum, FRSC and ISC members;
- arranging clearance of draft meeting records and circulation of final meeting records to members;
- maintaining a record of final Forum, FRSC and ISC papers; and
- managing Ministerial Council responses to Food Standards Australia and New Zealand (FSANZ) notifications.
In May 2011, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) updated its COAG Council Handbook which outlines the arrangements for the new COAG Council System and guidelines for best practice Secretariat operations. The Ministerial Council Operating Procedures are currently being reviewed to be in-line with the COAG Council Handbook.
The Food Regulation Secretariat - Contact Details:
Phone: +61 2 6289 5128
Fax: +61 2 6289 5100
Food Regulation Secretariat
GPO Box 9848
Canberra ACT 2601, Australia
Email: Food Regulation Secretariat