Flexible Funds - program consolidation
Indemnity Insurance Fund
This page contains information on the Indemnity Insurance Fund
PDF printable version of Indemnity Insurance Fund (PDF 8 KB)
The Indemnity Insurance Fund (the Fund) is an Australian Government initiative administered by the Department of Health and Ageing designed to consolidate funds that provide Commonwealth support for medical indemnity and professional indemnity for midwives.
Fund objectives and priorities
Broadly, the Fund’s primary objective is to streamline the administration of existing Government schemes with the following priorities:
- Promote stability of the medical indemnity insurance industry - to ensure the ongoing stability of the medical indemnity insurance industry, the department will continue to monitor the operations and activities of medical indemnity insurers;
- Keep premiums affordable for doctors - a stable and competitive medical indemnity industry assists in keeping medical indemnity premiums affordable for doctors;
- Ensure availability of professional indemnity insurance for eligible midwives – the Government has contracted an insurer, Medical Insurance Group Australia, to provide professional indemnity insurance to eligible midwives.
- High Cost Claims Scheme
- Premium Support Scheme
- Incurred-But-Not-Reported Claims Scheme
- Run-off Cover Scheme
- Midwife Professional Indemnity Commonwealth Contribution Schemes
- Midwife Professional Indemnity Run-off Cover Scheme
HTML version of Indemnity Insurance Fund Guidelines
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.