ANACAD reports directly to the Minister responsible for drugs and alcohol policy within the Health portfolio.
Membership of the Council
Membership of the ANACAD comprises of experts from a wide range of areas relating to drugs and alcohol.
Name of member
Type of membership
Prof Steve Allsop
Assoc Prof Ted Wilkes
Principal Advisor on Indigenous Issues
Dr Robert Ali
Assoc Prof Diana Egerton-Warburton
Dr James Fitzpatrick
Dr Jenny May
Donna Ah Chee
Terms of Reference
Role of the Council
The Australian National Advisory Council on Alcohol and Drugs (ANACAD) will:
1. Support the Australian Government by providing confidential, strategic, evidence-based advice on:
a. Alcohol and other drug (AOD) trends;
b. Identified priorities of national importance;
c. Key international issues relevant to the priorities; and
d. AOD issues among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander populations.
2. Develop a comprehensive workplan which identifies the priorities for advice.
a. As a first priority under the workplan, the ANACAD will provide advice on opportunities for the Australian Government to reduce the prevalence, harms and community impact of methamphetamines (in particular crystal methamphetamine) by mid-2015;
b. Additional priorities will be determined by the Minister in consultation with the ANACAD, other relevant Australian Government Ministers, Departments and Agencies; and
c. Only activities identified on the agreed workplan will be undertaken by the ANACAD, unless otherwise instructed by the Minister.
3. Advise on policy and practice implementation and evaluation strategies that provide short-term demonstrable gains; and longer-term strategies that impact the AOD pipeline.
4. Support the Australian Government’s contribution to the National Drug Strategy
5. Provide advice on future AOD prevention and education activity, including activities to be progressed through the National Drugs Campaign
6. Report to the Australian Government through the portfolio Minister with policy responsibility AOD policy issues (‘the Minister’).
7. The ANACAD will provide an annual report to the Australian Government.
ANACAD Summary of Activities 2016-17
provides an overview of the activities undertaken by the ANACAD over the period of 2016-17.
ANACAD Summary of Activities 2015-2016
provides an overview of the activities undertaken by the ANACAD over the period of December 2014 to 30 June 2016.