Submission to The House Of Representatives Standing Committee on Ageing
The House of Representatives Standing Committee on Ageing is a new committee established at the beginning of this Parliamentary term to look into the broad issues of ageing, especially as the "baby boom" generation enters retirement. The Standing Committee comprises ten Members of the House of Representatives with Dr Andrew Southcott, MP as the Chairman.
The Submission is available for download in PDF format:
On 26 June 2002 the Minister for Ageing, the Hon Kevin Andrews MP, asked the Standing Committee to inquire into the long-term strategies to address the ageing of the Australian population over the next 40 years. The Committee received submissions from over 120 government departments and community organisations. Public hearings were held in Canberra during February and March 2003.
After significant consultation with key policy and program areas across the Department, the following submission was submitted. Briefly, it:
- includes an overview of the demographic trends and health status of the Australian population with some international comparisons;
- summarises the history, processes and emerging major policy themes underpinning ageing policy development to date;
- outlines current levels of activity and investment in health promotion and disease prevention;
- provides information on developments in the health care system to help meet the chronic and complex health care needs of an ageing population; and
- provides information on developments to help better management of aged and community care.
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.