The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) claims data are an administrative by-product of the Department of Human Services administration of the Medicare fee-for-service payment system which processes services that qualify for a Medicare Benefit under the Health Insurance Act 1973 and for which a claim has been processed.
The MBS data does not cover all patient activity, such as:
- Services rendered free-of-charge in recognised hospitals;
- Services that qualify for a benefit under the Department of Veterans' Affairs National Treatment Account;
- Services rendered under an entitlement conferred by legislation other than the Health Insurance Act, e.g. services covered by third party or workers' compensation, where an interim benefit has not been paid, or services rendered to repatriation beneficiaries or defence personnel;
- Services rendered for insurance or employment purposes;
- Health screening service; and
- Services conducted through State and Territory community controlled health centres.
MBS Data by ABS SA3
MBS Data by PHN
- MBS data by PHN and MBS Item, for 2012-13 to 2015-16 (Excel 1792 KB)
- MBS data by PHN and MBS Reporting Group, for 2012-13 to 2015-16 (Excel 630 KB)
For further information on the MBS and to search the MBS please see the MBS Online Website.