Older people make up a considerable proportion of Australia’s population – in 2016, over 1 in 7 people were aged 65 and over.
GEN aged care dataThe GEN aged care data website provides a wide range of information relating to:
- all services and places in aged care
- admission into aged care
- social characteristics for people using aged care
- people’s care needs in aged care
- reasons for people leaving aged care
- government spending on aged care; and
- pathways in aged care.
Survey of Disability, Ageing and Carers (SDAC) dataThe 2015 Survey of Disability, Ageing and Carers (SDAC) is the most recent in a series of comprehensive national surveys conducted by the Australian Bureau of Statistics, following similar surveys in 1981, 1988, 1993, 1998, 2003, 2009 and 2012.
The survey was designed to:
- measure the prevalence of disability in Australia
- measure the need for support of older people (those aged 65 years and over) and those with disability
- provide a demographic and socio-economic profile of people with disability, older people and carers compared with the general population
- estimate the number of, and provide information about, those who provide care to people with disability and older people.