The Medicare Statistics contain data relating to Medicare for the latest quarter, together with data for earlier quarters and financial years.
This section of the website has been revised and re-formatted for easy access and use.
It contains information on the following Statistics in Excel and PDF formats:
- Quarterly Medicare Statistics – March Quarter 2007 to March Quarter 2013
- Annual Medicare Statistics – Financial Year 2007-08 to 2011-12
Statistics are presented by Broad Type of Service (BTOS), and State and Territory.
The statistics for ‘Total Medicare’ differ from what was published previously due to the exclusion of the BTOS ‘Dental Benefits Schedule’ which is under Dental Benefits Act 2008. Other types of BTOS are under the Health Insurance Act 1973. The ‘Dental Benefits Schedule’ was previously counted in BTOS “Other MBS Services”. It is now presented as an individual BTOS.
Quarterly Medicare Statistics:
- Statistics extended to include all BTOS categories by State and Territory (previously only covered four types of Non-referred GP attendances*); and
- Statistics on bulk bill incentive items are not currently available.
Annual Medicare Statistics:
- Includes Estimated Resident Population (ERP) data which allows calculation of statistics per capita; and
- Summary statistics, statistics by gender and age, and statistics on bulk bill incentive items are not currently available.
For further inquiries and feedback on the new tables, email the MBS Statistics inbox.
*Four types of Non-Referred GP Attendances:
- Non-referred GP/VR attendances
- Enhanced Primary Care attendances
- Practice Nurse items; and
- Other non-referred attendances.
- Expanded Medicare Healthy Kids Check
- Medical Benefits Reviews Task Group
- Better Access to Psychiatrists, Psychologists and General Practitioners through the MBS (Better Access) initiative