PDF version: Outcomes: Medicare Benefits Schedule Review Taskforce meeting 18 August 2015 (PDF 188 KB)
Clinical Committees and Working Groups
The Taskforce agreed to a list of Clinical Committees and Working Groups, including areas of priority for review. The areas of priority is based on a number of sources including the various Choosing Wisely sources, the Australian Commission on Quality and Safety in Atlas of Healthcare Variation, and the Elshaug et al list of low-value health practices.
The full list of Clinical Committees is intended to cover the entirety of the MBS and it is expected that most of the Clinical Committees will commence work in 2016. Working Groups will only be established when it is recommended by a Clinical Committee.
List of Clinical Committees
- Allergy and Immunology
- Allied health (includes currently funded chronic disease management services)
- Cardiology (includes cardiothoracic surgery)
- Clinical Haematology (for non-cancer)
- Consultation services (includes specialist and consultant physicians)
- Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Committee (including nuclear medicine and bone densitometry)
- Ear, Nose, and Throat Surgery Clinical Committee (includes audiology)
- Endocrinology (includes endocrine surgery)
- Gastroenterology (including upper and lower GI endoscopy and colonoscopy)
- General Practice (includes health assessments and acupuncture)
- General Surgery (includes abdominal, upper gastrointestinal and colorectal surgery)
- Hand surgery
- Indigenous Health
- Intensive care (includes neonatology and emergency medicine)
- Mental health services (includes psychiatry and GP mental health items)
- Neurology (includes neurosurgery and interventional neuro-radiology)
- Obstetrics (includes assisted reproductive treatment and pre-natal screening)
- Oncology (includes medical oncology, surgical oncology, radiation oncology, and cancer specific imaging)
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (includes the Cleft lip and Palate Scheme)
- Paediatric surgery
- Pain management
- Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- Renal medicine
- Spinal surgery
- Thoracic Medicine (include respiratory medicine)
- Vascular surgery and interventional radiology
- Rules and Regulations Principal Committee
List of Clinical Committees and working groups for priority establishment:
- Diagnostic Imaging Clinical Committee (including Working Groups for priority reviews of: bone densitometry; imaging for pulmonary embolism and acute deep vein thrombosis; imaging of the knee).
- Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT) Surgery Clinical Committee (including priority reviews of: tonsillectomy; adenoidectomy; grommets).
- Clinical Haematology Clinical Committee (including priority reviews of: blood transfusion services; iron studies; coagulation studies).
- Obstetrics Clinical Committee.
- Thoracic Medicine Clinical Committee (priority reviews of: sleep studies; respiratory function tests).
- Gastroenterology (priority reviews of: upper and lower GI endoscopy and colonoscopy).
- Rules and Regulations Committee.
Appointments to the Clinical Committees and working Groups will be based on nominations from Medical Colleges and other relevant professional organisations.
MBS Review Consultation Paper
The Taskforce intends to shortly release a consultation paper, which will identify specific issues relevant to the Taskforce’s terms of reference to be addressed by submissions. Following the release of the consultation paper, the Taskforce will invite submissions, and there may be further consultation forums.Top of Page