GP Workforce Statistics – 1984-85 to 2012-13The headcount figures include only those practitioners who provided at least one service and had at least one claim for service processed within the year. Figures (especially the headcount figures) will differ from those published prior to 2007-08 as a result of methodology changes, specifically:
- changes to the definition of an ‘active GP’ (the methodology for calculating headcount figures); and
- the use of a standardised imputation methodology for missing demographic information.
Excel version: GP Workforce Statistics (Excel 387 KB)
The Department of Health has made every effort to ensure that the Microsoft Excel version of the above document meets accessibility requirements. If you are experiencing difficulty accessing the information contained within this document, please email the MBS Statistic inbox to arrange for an alternative format to be provided to you.
PDF version: GP Workforce Statistics (PDF 498 KB)
Further information about these and related statistics are available from the Director, Costing and Information Analysis Section, Medicare Financing and Analysis Section.
When accessing large documents (over 500 KB in size), it is recommended that the following procedure be used:
- Click the link with the RIGHT mouse button
- Choose "Save Target As.../Save Link As..." depending on your browser
- Select an appropriate folder on a local drive to place the downloaded file
Attempting to open large documents within the browser window (by left-clicking)
may inhibit your ability to continue browsing while the document is
opening and/or lead to system problems.
To view PDF (Portable Document Format) documents, you will need to have a PDF reader installed on your computer. A number of PDF readers are available through the Australian Government Information Management Office (AGIMO) Web Guide website.