Tools And Tips
This page contains information about how to lose weight sensibly for good health that lasts.
Tips for healthy eatingHealthy Eating Tips can be found on the Eat for Health website.
Calculate your daily energy and nutrient compositionOur Kilojoule and Nutrient Calculator has options for breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. Choose one or more options from the list of meals/snacks/beverages below that best represent your daily consumption to find out the total kilojoules and nutrient composition of that diet for the day.
Healthy WeightRestrictive dieting is not recommended for children and adolescents, as they have high nutritional needs. For adults with a body weight above that suggested in the healthy weight category (Body Mass Index greater than 25), food and energy intake can be reduced to lose weight, in conjunction with increasing physical activity.
Tips for including more physical activity in your dayIncreases in daily activity can come from small changes made throughout your day – they all add up. You can accumulate your 30 minutes (or more) of physical activity for health throughout the day by combining a few shorter sessions of activity of around 10 to 15 minutes each.
To make a habit out of increasing activity in your day, you can:
- Take the stairs instead of the lift.
- Park further away from your destination and walk the rest of the way.
- Walk or cycle instead of using the car for short trips.
- Take your dog (or a neighbour’s dog) for a walk.
- Walk rather than rest on escalators or travelators.
- Get off the bus/train/tram one or two stops earlier and walk the rest of the way.
- Work in the garden.
- Play with children in an active way.
- Catch up with friends by walking together rather than going for coffee.
- Try a new sport or go back to one you have played before.
- Do some simple exercises (eg jog on the spot) while waiting for the kettle to boil or for food to cook in the microwave.