- Subsidising PBS medicine co-payments
- Higher utilisation costs for MBS and PBS
- Supporting primary care providers to coordinate chronic disease management
- Improving Indigenous participation in health care through chronic disease self management
- Increasing specialist and allied health follow up care
- Monitoring and evaluation
Improving Chronic Disease Management and Follow-up
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people experience a burden of disease two-and-a-half times that of other Australians. Better detection, treatment and management of chronic diseases, and addressing barriers to accessing health care by Indigenous Australians are therefore critical elements of this package.
The Medicare Benefits Schedule (MBS) supports health assessments and chronic disease management items. However, in the past, uptake of these MBS items by health service providers for Indigenous Australians has been low. This measure will deliver a comprehensive approach to chronic disease management that seeks to encourage greater uptake of health assessments and the provision of follow-up care in a coordinated, accessible and systematic manner.
Back to Top