Why is this important?
- External requests for health data completed by the department are currently supplied to the client at no charge.
- Implementing this measure will mean that all non-government requests for health information, (unless for a project funded directly or indirectly by the Commonwealth), statistics or data, where publicly available data is insufficient to meet client needs, will be done through a single aligned process and costing structure.
- This proposal is consistent with the Australian Government Charging Framework. It is also consistent with the Government’s emphasis on open data.
Who will benefit?
- Clients will now be invoiced for the true cost of work done by the department.
- Research organisations or external parties who are contracted or funded by the department or the Commonwealth to undertake particular projects which may need data to fulfil their project or grant obligations are not affected.