Printable PDF version Child and Adult Public Dental Scheme (PDF 202 KB)
Why is this important?
- On average, 30 per cent of adults have untreated tooth decay. This rate doubles for adults on low incomes and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
- The Government is committed to reducing the strain on the health system arising from dental problems, including recurrent visits to GPs or emergency departments for pain management, preventable hospitalisations and other health issues.
- The Child and Adult Public Dental Scheme will ensure the Government targets those with the greatest dental need – adult concession card holders, as well as children.
- Children who were eligible for services through the Child Dental Benefits Schedule will be able to access the new scheme.
- State and territory governments will balance demand, be paid directly, and focus on reducing waiting times.
Who will benefit?
- More consumers on concession cards will benefit from the Child and Adult Public Dental Scheme.
- State and territory governments will have greater funding certainty to improve waiting times and help more eligible patients.