The RCTS program is designed to increase the rural medical workforce by enlisting Australian medical schools to deliver rural medical training, to recruit rural medical students, promote and encourage rural medical careers and increase opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
The program also seeks to have a more immediate impact on the rural medical workforce by encouraging health professionals to take up rural academic positions, often through joint funding arrangements with local area health services.
The development of rural medical training infrastructure, including new educational facilities and student accommodation is also a major aspect of the program.
Rural Clinical Training and Support (RCTS) 2011-2014
List of Rural Clinical Schools
There are currently 17 Rural Clinical Schools across Australia, managed by 16 Universities. Each Rural Clinical School has multiple training locations:
- Deakin University Rural Clincial School
Warnambool, Ballarat, Camperdown, Ararat, Colac, Horsham, Hamilton, Stawell and Daylesford.
- Flinders University Rural Clinical School
The Riverland region of South Australia (Renmark), Mount Gambier and the Hills Mallee Fleurieu regions, Warnambool.
- James Cook University Rural Clinical School
Mackay, Cairns, Atherton, Mt Isa, Thursday Island and surrounding regions.
- Monash University School of Rural Health
Traralgon, Moe, Sale, Bairnsdale, Mildura, Bendigo and surrounding regions.
- The Australian National University Rural Clinical School
Cooma, Goulburn, Bega, Young, Batemans Bay and surrounding regions.
- The Northern Territory Rural Clinical School (through Flinders University)
Alice Springs, Katherine, Gove and surrounding regions.
- The Rural Clinical School of Western Australia
Kalgoorlie, Esperance, Geraldton, Port Hedland, Broome, Albany, Karratha, Derby, Bunbury, Narrogin, Kununurra and surrounding regions.
- The University of Adelaide Spencer Gulf Rural Health School
Whyalla, Port Augusta, Port Pirie, Port Lincoln, Minlaton, Kadina, Clare and surrounding regions.
- The University of Melbourne Rural Clinical School
Shepparton, Wangaratta, Echuca, Ballarat and surrounding regions.
- The University of New South Wales Rural Clinical School
Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie, Kempsey, Wagga Wagga, Albury, Griffith, Leeton and surrounding regions.
- The University of Queensland Rural Clinical School
Rockhampton, Toowoomba, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg and surrounding regions.
- The University of Sydney School of Rural Health
- University of Newcastle Department of Rural Health
Tamworth, Armidale, Moree, Taree and surrounding regions.
- University of Notre Dame Australia (Sydney Campus)
Wagga Wagga, Ballarat and Lithgow
- University of Tasmania Rural Clinical School
Burnie and the North West region.
- University of Western Sydney
Lismore and Bathurst
- University of Wollongong Rural Clinical School
Nowra, Milton/Ulladulla, Lismore, Grafton, Murwillumbah, Broken Hill, Bowral, Mudgee, Murrumbidgee.
For more information on the Rural Clinical Training and Support program, please email email@example.com
You can get to this page using the short URL